Institutional Review Board
The Institutional Review Board (IRB) serves to support the research of Limestone University faculty and students. The policy is meant to serve the current needs of faculty and students. It may be modified as their needs change and programs expand.
The IRB may approve, request revisions or deny research conducted on the Limestone University campus, Evening Campus sites, or through the Limestone University Internet programs (via e-mail or Blackboard).
If the IRB does not approve a particular research protocol, then no one else may approve that research. The research protocol may, however, be resubmitted to the IRB with modifications for reconsideration.
The membership of the IRB shall consist of:
- Chair: Authorized Institutional Officer
- Chair, Department of Psychology
- Chair, Department of Criminal Justice, Political Science, and Sociology
- Chair, Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (in development)
- Chair, Department of Business, Economics, and International Studies.
- Department of Education Chair, or member.
- Member, Department of Social Work
- Member, A.J. Eastwood Library Staff
- Director of Nursing Program
- One member from outside Limestone University (invited for 1-year terms)
Any Departments where research is conducted may have representation on the IRB. At least one member must be an evening/online faculty member. Members of other departments may join as their research needs require.
Department Chairs may send a request for IRB representation to the Chair. Members will be added to the official roll as seen in the Limestone University Institutional Review Board Policy Manual.
Records of IRB applications, minutes, IRB Certificates, Protocol Completion Certificates, and abstracts will be filed in the office of the Chair who will serve as the Authorized Institutional Officer (AIO).
Members need to be familiar with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Code of Federal Regulations (http://www.hhs.gov/ohrp/humansubjects/guidance/45cfr46.html#46.115).