Appointment of Emeriti Faculty Policy
The title of professor emeritus recognizes meritorious service to Limestone University by a member of the faculty retiring from the University. Individuals must meet the eligibility criteria for the award.
The individual is retiring (as opposed to leaving for a position with another employer) and has completed 10 or more years of full-time service as a faculty member at Limestone University.
Evidence of a strong teaching record and community service within the University. The designation also reflects a high level of commitment to Limestone University and its mission.
- The Provost may initiate the recommendation for the award of emeritus status of faculty members upon notification of retirement (see form below)
- The Provost recommends to the President.
- The President recommends to the Instruction, Academic Policy & Enrollment Services Committee of the Board of Trustees.
- The Instruction, Academic Policy & Enrollment Services Committee recommends to the full Board of Trustees.
- Emeritus status is awarded to the retiring faculty member by the Board of Trustees.
- Emeritus status is awarded with the title held at the time of retirement.
Privileges of the Status of Professor Emeritus
- Recognition at commencement following designation of emeritus status.
- Marching with faculty at commencement exercises and other formal academic occasions.
- Inclusion in official listings of Limestone faculty.
- Continuing library privileges.
- Free Admission to Limestone’s cultural events and athletic contests.
Note: Granting of emeritus status does not preclude teaching part-time for Limestone University as an adjunct faculty member.